What happened to gqview

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Dec 1 21:08:21 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 01 December 2004 23:26, Paul Howarth wrote:
> Robin Laing wrote:
> > I will agree with this.  The one thing that is required for many "NEW"
> > users is the GUI and a configured yum.conf file.
>
> FC3 *does* come with a configured yum.conf file, complete with pointer to a
> mirrorlist so that everyone's not trying to download everything from
> download.fedora.redhat.com.

Debian does it better; asks you where you are, then asks you to choose one
appropriate.
Whether the user can pick the best is arguable, but at least they're in the
right country:-)

> > A new user file with
> > an icon on the desktop would also be a great idea with common answers
> > such as how to get mp3 and DVD's to play on Fedora.
>
> Wouldn't that mean an official endorsement of one of the "unofficial"
> repos?
1. Does it have to be one?
2. Why not several of the most popular?
3. If not 2, then a link to where to find out more.

--

Cheers
John Summerfield