where is the network "profile" script?

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Wed Dec 1 23:25:28 UTC 2004

I have network "profiles" set up, one for "Home" and one for "Dal" (Dal is an
abbreviation of the name of the university I attend), since there are
different wireless networks at both places and ... well, I can't really
remember why I set them up. But they work so I have left them set up.

Anyway, I noticed that when I select a network profile, one of the results is
that the /etc/hosts file gets replaced with a link to either:

/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/Home/hosts
or
/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/Dal/hosts

That seems sensible. This would imply, though, that somewhere on my system, a
script is run when I "change profiles" that replaces the hosts file with the
version in the other profile's directory. Can anyone tell me where that
script is?

What I would *like* to do is modify the script so that it also copies a new
sendmail.cf file and then restarts sendmail. Why? Because this would allow me
to send my emails through sendmail on *my* machine, which would send through
the correct SMTP server (my ISP's when I'm at home; my web hosting provider's
when I'm at school) whenever I selected one of the different profiles.

Why the heck would I want to bother? Mostly just curiousity now to see if it
can be done.

Trevor Smith // trevor at haligonian.com