Mail server?

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Thu Dec 2 02:18:38 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 16:54 -0800, Lyle Kopnicky wrote:

> Hi, I'm setting a machine up as a mailserver.  I have never configured
> mailserver before and sendmail sounds intimidating, but I'd like to
> make
> sure the server is compatible with spamassassin and other tools.
> Recommended - sendmail, qmail or postfix?

Sendmail, hands down.  There are only a couple of small changes you need
to make to set it up for your environment.

People bitch about security problems with sendmail.  If you don't keep
up with security updates I don't care what MTA you use you're going to
have problems.  As long as you keep up with your security updates
sendmail is just fine.  Been using it for over a decade in both small
and very very large environments and never had a problem.

Thomas