Video Card and Screen Resolution

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Dec 2 03:39:23 UTC 2004

Terry R. Grier wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I cannot get my desktop computer to get a screen resoltion above 800x600.
> My vid card has been found and is corret and my dell monitor is selected.
> I get 1024x768 via XP.
> What is the deal you think? .... .It is not even listed as an option.
> I know the monitor and card can 'handle' it since it does it under xp.

There are BIOS bugs that can cause this problem. You might need to
upgrade the BIOS. I had this problem on a newer Dell.

Also there is a legacy video setting that is set to 1 mb in the BIOS.
This setting needs (or should) be set to 8 MB.

I'm not sure as to what make of computer you have or video card. But
Dell BIOS A04 from their website for one of the optiplex w/ an 865G
video card did not work for higher resolutions before upgrading the BIOS
and changing the video legacy settings.

Jim

--
We need to teach Linus about "taste" in drivers. His core code taste is
impeccable, but I'm not fond of his driver taste ;)

	- Alan Cox on linux-kernel