Fedora Core 3 can't detect a DVD.

Erik P. Olsen erik at epo.dk
Thu Dec 2 09:47:19 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 08:48 +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 00:52 +0100, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> > I can see from the archive that FC3 has severe problems with DVDs. I
> > have, however, not seen any message desribing my problem with DVDs.
> >
> > Whenever I insert a DVD FC3 mounts it as a CD-ROM and consequently it is
> > displayed as empty. The DVD in question is the downloaded FC3
> > installation DVD. And it is correctly burnt because I have installed FC3
> > from it. I discovered the problem with I wanted to update my FC3 system
> > with an additional function and after it requested the DVD (actually CD
> > no. 2) it wasn't able to read the DVD. Later I just inserted the DVD to
> > see how it would be mounted and that's where I saw it mounted as a CD-
> > ROM.
> >
> > I don't think I missed anything in the installation of FC3 I just wonder
> > if there is anything I can do to make my FC3 system detect the DVD when
> > one is inserted. Perhaps I should report it to Bugzilla?
>
> Mounting it as a CD-ROM is the right thing to do. A data DVD like the
> FC3 installation DVD is basically just a "big" CD.
>
> However, if the mounted filesystem displays as empty rather than showing
> the contents of the DVD, then that is a problem. It works fine here,
> displaying correctly both for "ls" on the terminal and using nautilus.

"ls" and nautilus displays nothing but total 0 and MC displays an empty
folder. The DVD is mounted on /media/cdrecorder and the fstab entry is:
/dev/hdd  /media/cdrecorder auto
pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,ro,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
Is anything wrong with that?

BTW, I am running kernel 2.6.9-1.681_FC3 I'll go back to the previous
version and see if that makes any difference.

--
Regards,
Erik P. Olsen