KDE fail to start after reboot - FIXED

Randy toucan at tropicalrain.us
Thu Dec 2 16:25:08 UTC 2004

Hello,
    I had the strangest problem after I applied the most recent batch of
updates and rebooted.  KDE would get stuck while starting, never giving me
a usable desktop, and tell me to check if dcopserver was running.

    I went through google and tried a number of solutions.  It turned out
to be related to the 'iceauth' program, not dcopserver.  There were THREE
files in my home directory, '.ICEauthority', '.ICEauthority_c' and
'ICEauthority_l'.  Deleting the last two made it possible to start kde
again.  If anyone else runs into this after applying updates, I wanted to
save them some time. :-)

Randy