Ditching FC3... for now =(

John Burton j.c.burton at gats-inc.com
Thu Dec 2 15:45:02 UTC 2004

Lotsa Cabo wrote:

>I may have to ditch Fedora for now because of VMWare.  I'm hoping someone
>can make a recommendation as to what distro they would use in this
>situation.
>
>My goal...
>To successful install and use FC3 in a virtual machine hosted by WinXP for
>however long it takes me to find, install, understand, and otherwise replace
>by existing M$-based apps with Linux versions.  Then, once I have everything
>ready to roll on Linux, and have no NEED for the Windows apps blow away the
>box and install it as a FC3-only machine.

Hi Ryan!
Maybe my exeprience can help. I have an HP/Compaq nx7000 laptop. It
*was* a WinXP machine. The primary apps I was using
o Microsoft Office (word, powerpoint, excel, etc)
o Microsoft Visio
o Microsoft Project
o e-mail (thunderbird)
o webbrowsing
o Microsoft Outlook as a PIM and syncing with my PocketPC

I am currently running FC3 on the laptop. E-mail & web browsing are no
problem. For my Microsoft apps (Office, Visio, Project) I am running
Crossover Office 4.0 which works just fine. I can open MS Word by
clicking on an attachment to e-mail, just like I could under Windows or
just like a Linux application. There are some Windows applications that
aren't supported by Crossover Office, For them I am going to be using
Win4Lin. I've used Win4Lin with previous Fedora/RedHat distributions and
have been happy with it. I've also used it with PCLinuxOS distribution
and have been pleased there too. I am currently testing the latest
kernel patches for Win4Lin for the 2.6.9 kernel so I can use Win4Lin
under FC3. They should have a prepackaged kernel ready in the very near
future so you can simply "install" Win4Lin without worrying about any
kernel details.

I currently only have 2 minor problems to be resolved:
o syncing my PocketPC (Compaq iPaq) to my laptop - have the laptop &
iPaq talking via SynCE and can transfer files between the two using
commandline utilities, but haven't gotten the KDE PIM suite to sync with
it yet.
o Cisco VPN. One of the sites I visit occassionally has a wireless
network with VPN setup. For Windows machines, they have a Cisco VPN
client customized to their site. I have wireless working fine on my
laptop (ipw2100 drivers for intel centrino), I just need to figure out
the VPN stuff. Haven't had a chance to do that yet.

Bottom line, you don't need to trash FC3 just because VMware is causing
you grief. Between Crossover Office and Win4Lin, you can run virtually
all your Windows apps under Linux.  Also, OpenOffice provides very good
(not perfect) compatibility with Microsoft Office applications.

John