What happened to gqview

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Dec 2 15:49:59 UTC 2004

John Summerfield wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 December 2004 23:26, Paul Howarth wrote:
>
>>Robin Laing wrote:
>>
>>>I will agree with this.  The one thing that is required for many "NEW"
>>>users is the GUI and a configured yum.conf file.
>>
>>FC3 *does* come with a configured yum.conf file, complete with pointer to a
>>mirrorlist so that everyone's not trying to download everything from
>>download.fedora.redhat.com.
>

> Debian does it better; asks you where you are, then asks you to choose one
> appropriate.
> Whether the user can pick the best is arguable, but at least they're in the
> right country:-)

Not perfect but it works.  Our network goes through one port on the
other side of the country.  Location isn't the best option but would
work for most people.

>>>A new user file with
>>>an icon on the desktop would also be a great idea with common answers
>>>such as how to get mp3 and DVD's to play on Fedora.
>>
>>Wouldn't that mean an official endorsement of one of the "unofficial"
>>repos?
>
> 1. Does it have to be one?
> 2. Why not several of the most popular?
> 3. If not 2, then a link to where to find out more.

Would be better that what is there now.  There are many good pages on
how to get things working.  A link to the Linux Documentation Project
would be a great start.  There is still the issue of getting people to
read.  :)

Have local copies of documents that provide basic setup info such as
creating accounts, network setup and troubleshooting.  Those things
that need to be sorted out before any links will work.

The idea is to provide a means to assist the new and experienced users
to do those things that haven't been thought about before.

An Info folder on the desktop with the necessary documents or WWW pages.

--
Robin Laing