Install other Apps - HOW TO

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Dec 2 17:16:18 UTC 2004

On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 04:52:59PM -0400, Terry R. Grier wrote:
> I basiclly switched to be MS free and thought that programs like mozilla
> TB, Sunbird, NVU ... and programs like moneydance ... had linux
> versions... so that I could make the switch and use all of my same
> programs.

Well, you basically can. However, most packages main method of distribution
-- the only fail-safe one -- is in source code form. So, you need to either
build the package from source yourself, or use a compiled ("binary", we say
-- even though of course the source code is technically stored in binary
format too, it's at least human-readable). Luckily for new users and anyone
who values convenience, there's quite a few high-quality, trusted sources of
binary packages these days -- Fedora Core itself is one, and Fedora Extras
and the various well-known third-party package collections like FreshRPMs or
Dag Weirs' DAG repository.