Selecting a window manager

Samuel J. Irlapati Samuel.Irlapati at unisys.com
Thu Dec 2 17:16:22 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 12:45 -0500, Paul Michael Reilly wrote:

> Why does Gnome (and Fedora) not have a Window Manager preference
> selector?  I can kind of understand why Fedora would not distribute some
> Window managers that do not comply with the things that a distributor
> would like a good citizen window manager to comply with.  But surely
> there is more than one good choice and hence it would be a good to allow
> Users to choose alternatives to Metacity.  And to be able to add a
> window manager to that chooser.  Having to simultaneously kill one WM
> while starting up another on the command line seems so twentieth
> century.  I have a hunch this might be as much a political issue as a
> technical issue, but I could be wrong. :-)
>
> FWIW, I've used Metacity now for a month or so, since FC3 came out, and
> it is OK but I sorely miss the sawfish Moondome theme (which cannot be
> done for Metacity as near as I can tell) and the "resize to max
> (vertical or horizontal) and lock" operation.  Are there any FC3 users
> who are still using sawfish without hassle?
>
> -pmr

Here is what i do to change WM. At the command line, type "killall
metacity && xfwm4". You may have to do this a few times to get xfwm4 to
come up. I used xfwm4 as an example, so you can try other window
managers. The XFCE window manager, xfwm4, is what i use by default now.

After you selected your window manager, you can type "gnome-session-
save".