FC3: kernel panic on first boot

Robin Bowes robin-gmane at robinbowes.com
Thu Dec 2 15:57:21 UTC 2004

John Swartzentruber wrote:

> You can search this newsgroup at http://search.gmane.org/, either search
> for your problem or search for my address to get my initial message
> about this problem.
>

>> Can you point me at any docs that guide me through this process?
>

> Not really. I'm a real newbie at all this stuff. I just did extensive
> googling. Look at the man page for mkinitrd. Google for it as well. I
> found some stuff when I googled for mkinitrd and sata_sil (although it
> turns out I really wanted sata_via). You should be able to boot from
> your Rescue CD. When you do, it should flash up a window when it loads
> your SATA driver. Notice which drive it is loading because that is the
> one you need.

What gets me is that I can boot into rescue mode and the kernel on the
DVD loads the drivers just fine!

I've actually booted into rescue mode, chroot'ed to /mnt/sysimage and
run the services manually so things are back up until I fix the kernel
issue. I had to do the following before running any services:

# start_udev
# mount /dev/pts
# mount /dev/shm

I think I then ran /etc/rc 3 to start everything that would normally
start in runlevel 3

> I created a new image using mkinitrd (i.e., did *not* overwrite the one
> that was there). I created a new entry in my grub.conf and used the new
> image.

OK, I'll give that a go.

>> I also noticed that my modprobe.conf file was missing things after
>> upgrading, which might have been the original problem.
>>
>> Such as? What should modprobe.conf look like? Mine just contains one
>> line:
>>
>> # Note: for use under 2.4, changes must also be made to modules.conf!
>> alias char-major-89-* i2c-dev
>>
>> However, there is a modprobe.conf.dist file which has 165 lines.
>> Should I copy this to modprobe.conf?
>

> I don't know. I think I compared it with modprobe.conf.anacbak, which I
> assume was my previous file. There is a possibility that this relates to
> a different problem.

Possibly.

I live in hope of a new kernel rpm release that will fix the problem for
me! :)

R.