Fedora Extras is extra

Bernd Radinger bradinger at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 20:18:42 UTC 2004

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 08:23:09 -0600, Jeff Vian <jvian10 at charter.net> wrote:

> > > Exactly..  Packages from FC were being modified by an update from
> > > fedora.us
> >
> > No package at Fedora.us modifies flac or alsa-lib or causes it to be
> > removed. None of the packages ``updates'' FC. By definition,
> > Fedora.Extras are not permitted to update FC. Again, your theory is
> > void..., FUD as Dag Wieers put it. Fact the facts or prove otherwise.
> >
> Dag did not call it FUD,  That was Michael.

GMail search only lists Dag. It is only his messages in which to find
the word ``FUD''. Latest quote from this thread: ``BTW if people
encounter problems with packages, they should report them. I'm sure
Axel's packages do not fail on fc3 and implying so without
verification is indeed FUD.'' Whether Axel or another repository, this
is exactly what applies to you.

> > > In my experience and the example above your statement is incorrect (at
> > > least in this case).  Removal of the fedora.us repo from my list was the
> > > only action that eliminated the dependency problem.
> >
> > You have not yet understood the problems and side-effects of mixing
> > incompatible repositories.  That is something you need to work on
> > before it makes sense to continue this discussion.
> >
> I understand it exactly, and my experience provided a stark example of
> that.

No example, no session log, no bugzilla, just FUD.

--
Bernd ``who's getting bored of Jeff and who thinks installing
additional software on FC is still too hard if you are supposed to