Problems remotely changing IP address of second NIC

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Dec 2 20:57:38 UTC 2004

On Friday 03 December 2004 03:35, Seth Art wrote:
> 1) I SSH into to the LAN CARD, become root.
> 2) I then use system-config-network-gui though the ssh connection to
> get a nice gui from the remote machine.
> 3) There is no DHCP server on the DMZ so i give it a static address on
> the same subnet, set subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and default gateway
> to the correct default gateway.

Why would you do that? I would expect you to be kicked out.

> 4) I then apply changes and activate the card.
Here's how I'd give it an IP address good until the next reboot.
ifconfig eth1 192.168.2.1
When I'm finished with it
ifconfig eth1 down

You haven't made a case for changing the default route. If you must, first
create a route to yourself.

--

Cheers
John Summerfield