Fedora and Partition Magic

Gustavo Seabra seabra at ksu.edu
Thu Dec 2 21:06:19 UTC 2004

Gerhard Magnus wrote:

>I'm trying to set up a dual booting system with Windows XP and Fedora 3
>using Partition/Boot Magic 8.  My system has two hard drives with
>Windows XP installed on drive 1.  Following the Partion Magic
>instructions, I created a small FAT partition on drive 1 for the Boot
>Magic files (which can't be installed on a NTFS partition).  I used
>Partition Magic to create Linux ext3 and swap partitions on drive 2.  I
>then installed Fedora 3 on drive 2, apparently successfully since I got
>to the splash screen that said so and told me to reboot.
>
>When I installed Fedora 3 without GRUB, the reboot hung on the message
>that the system was preparing to boot Fedora 3.
>
>When I installed Fedora 3 with GRUB (and including Windows XP as an
>option on the GRUB menu) I was able to reboot into Fedora successfully
>and complete the installation process.  But then the Windows XP boot
>hung.
>
>I used the Boot Magic rescue disc to boot back to Windows XP where I
>reactivated Boot Magic and added Fedora as an OS to the Boot Magic
>menu.  Now I can boot into Windows XP but the Fedora boot fails.
>
>Any hints as to how to hack through this?  Are there special problems
>with having the bootable Fedora partition on the second drive?  I'm not
>committed to using Boot Magic but it's worked fine for me in the past.
>
>Thanks for the help!
>Jerry

Why do you need Partition Magic? Fedora can do all the partitions during
the installation process. I actually suggests a scheme that, as I
learned too late, is pretty good. What we did and worked fine was:
First partition: WinXP
All the rest: done with the partition utility during the Fedora
installation, and all worked fine.

*Gustavo Seabra*
<http://www.ksu.edu/chem/personnel/faculty/grad/jvo/ortiz/people_seabra.html>
- Graduate Student