Name distribution

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Dec 2 21:49:45 UTC 2004

On Friday 03 December 2004 05:20, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> there should be file called lsb-release in LSB compatible
> distributions with the required packages installed. LSB in a
> roundabout way is something designed to avoid requiring a particular
> distro in the first place

Hm.
summer at Glider:~$ cat /etc/lsb-release
cat: /etc/lsb-release: No such file or directory
summer at Glider:~$
So
summer at Glider:~$ sudo apt-get install lsb-release
Password:
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  lsb-release
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
etc and now:
summer at Glider:~$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Debian
DISTRIB_RELEASE=3.1
DISTRIB_CODENAME=sarge
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Debian GNU/Linux"
summer at Glider:~$

and that seems a fairly sane set of info. But, you cannot rely on its present.

Howecer,
[root at dugong ~]# cat /etc/lsb-release /etc/redhat-release
LSB_VERSION="1.3"
Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg)
[root at dugong ~]#
[summer at thylacine ~]$ cat /etc/lsb-release
LSB_VERSION="1.3"
[summer at thylacine ~]$ cat /etc/lsb-release /etc/redhat-release
LSB_VERSION="1.3"
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop release 3.90 (Nahant)
[summer at thylacine ~]$

I don't know what the specs say about the file, but I see there's no common
information.

--

Cheers
John Summerfield