Netgear WG311 (v1) + WPA problems on FC3

Bogdan Palos bpalos at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 2 21:54:42 UTC 2004

Hi all,
i installed FC3 on my HT-ed P4 (kernel 2.6.9-1.667smp) and i can't seem to
get my WG311 card to work properly. It has the Atheros chipset since it's a
v1 model.

I tried ndiswrapper 0.11 + wpa_supplicant 0.25 but the conection seems to
break after few minutes. Meanwhile i can surf the net, use Yum, etc....Using
the -dd option it shows a few successfull WPA key negotiations but after a
while it gets stuck with something like "Cancelling request timeout". Then i
have to killall wpa_supplicant, ifdown wlan0 and restart it with ifup
wlan0...and so on.

Tried ndiswrapper 0.12 and it locked up my system...

Tried to compile madwifi + wpa_supplicant, but never got as far as wpa
configuration since madwifi is a pain to compile...i tried the latest cvs
snapshot tarball and after stage 2 it gives me plenty of warnings. However
the modules that need to be loaded are nowhere to be found according to the
How-To on fedoraforum.org....(wlan, ath_pci and one more).

It's driving me crazy, on Suse 9.2 the WG311 works with WPA out of the box
using madwifi so it has to be a compilation problem for madwifi. (at least
the cvs tarball).

I'd appreciate any help, many thanks in advance!