Problems remotely changing IP address of second NIC

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Dec 2 21:59:09 UTC 2004

On Friday 03 December 2004 05:17, Seth Art wrote:
> > > 4) I then apply changes and activate the card.
> >
> > Here's how I'd give it an IP address good until the next reboot.
> > ifconfig eth1 192.168.2.1
> > When I'm finished with it
> > ifconfig eth1 down
>
> You know... I guess that is what i was looking for.  I had a feeling i
> was making it much more difficult than it had to be, i just think it
> would be that easy.  It only difference is that eth3 is usually up.
> its up with no IP address like i said in the email i posted a minute
> ago.  So i would do
>
> ifconfig eth3 down
Not needed on linux. I wasn't going to qualify with "on linux" and then I
remembered my Mac doing odd things)

> ifconfig eth3 up 192.168.218.30 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 192.168.218.2
The netmask will default to that. I'd not specify gw, but you might need it.

> and you think i should be good like that?  Do you think i will need to
> do a service network restart?
Certainly not. That will destroy everything. Possibly including your
connexion.

> and then to set it back up the way i usually have it i could just do:
>
> ifconfig eth3 down
> ifconfig eth3 up 0.0.0.0
You might have to play here to see what works. I was going to say you don't
need the second, but you _might_ need something.
A service network restart here is probably okay; likely you will get kicked
out but you should be able to get back.

I suggest you use the screen command. When you reconnect you will be able to
see what went wrong:-)

> and all should be well.   hmmm.  When i get back in my machine finally
> i will try all of this.  Thank you for your help.   I still don't
> understand why doing it the other way kicks me off and then renders a
> completely different interface useless.  Any ideas?

I think restarting the network does it.

--

Cheers
John Summerfield