Sound Not working still with Fedora...

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Thu Dec 2 22:45:45 UTC 2004

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 01:21:08PM -0800, Lane Inman wrote:
> Okay;
>   I sent this before and got detoured, but it is a very annoying
> problem.  Please read the description as each time I post the question,
> I get the same answers (none of which have gotten my sound card to
> work):
>
> 1) soundconfig does not work - it says the card is detected, and when it
> "plays" a test sound I get nothing.
> 2) then gnome-alsa sound mixer does not improve it either
> 3) the rest of the information is below:

It is time for some truths. The actions of the alsa support for sound
has been screwy since FC1. The behavior is hardware dependent. I am
getting sound on a machine where system-config-soundcard says it can
not recognize a soundcard. With FC1 and FC3 the soundcard is
obviously recognized since the appropriate lines are placed in the
modprobe.conf file. FC2 had no lines put in this file so sound does
not work on the machine even if I put the lines in the file by hand.
Anyway to get sound working on under the versions of FC which will
produce sound the process is one of:
1. configuring channels with alamixer
2, setting the volume with the volume control option.
3. If you want the CD-s to play and gnome-cd won't do it and it
does not on this machine use grip and it works.

write-protect tab, n.:
	A small sticker created to cover the unsightly notch carelessly left
	by disk manufacturers.  The use of the tab creates an error message
	once in a while, but its aesthetic value far outweighs the momentary
	inconvenience.
		-- Robb Russon
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science