OpenOffice ridiculously slow to start on FC3

Peter Teuben teuben at astro.umd.edu
Thu Dec 2 22:47:35 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, John Lagrue wrote:

> This has been raised before but I have a bad problem with OO on FC3. I
> start it...the banner appears and the blue progress bar quickly goes
> across to 100% - and then nothing happens for at least 5 minutes.
>
> Nothing to do with swapping or CPU. The CPU load falls to zero, disc
> activity ceases.....but no window appears for absolutely ages. The
> system doesn't hang up, because all other activities can continue;
> browsing, email etc.
>
> This is on an Celeron M320 with 256Mb, 20Gb and 490Mb swap space.
>
> Any ideas?

check your disk I/O speed. OO takes quite a hit on the disk to load.
My laptop (Inspiron 8200) has obtained a really low disk I/O speed,
as checked with the command
	hdparm -t /dev/hda
of about 3-10 MB/sec (erratic).  Previously I had found out
that it was a bad interaction between the cd-automounter
(magicdev for gnome on previous versions of redhat), but i'm
now also getting this I/O rate on the console. I didn't see anything
wrong with the DMA setting, though should doublecheck. That kind of
bug of not setting it correctly is from the long past.

So, basically I have the same problem (perhaps not as much as 5 minutes
though), but I don't know how to get my disk back to full speed
(in my case rh9 gives me 27MB/sec).

- peter