FC3 can't find LVM volumes, boot fails, kernel panics

Deron Meranda deron.meranda at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 22:50:33 UTC 2004

I posted this a while back with no responses.  I have more information
now as well...

I upgraded a box from FC2 to FC3.  Upon boot, grub starts, the kernel gets
uncompressed, and it dies while trying to find the LVM volumes (actually the
mount of / fails and the kernel panics).  Booting from the rescue CD is able to
find the disks, volumes, etc. and all the logical volumes and filesystems are
intact.  vgscan, vgdisplay, pvdisplay, etc. all find everything and seem happy.

There is one volume group (named "vg00") and several logical volumes,
across two physical volumes (both scsi disks).  Everything except for the
/boot filesystem is on a logical volume.

So this sounds like a messed up initrd or something.  How do I recreate
that from the rescue shell?

-- original post with the details --
This is Dell PowerEdge 2650 (dual Xeon) with the latest BIOS version.
It was running FC2 fine.  I upgraded to FC3 and after the first reboot it
failed to start the kernel.  It looks like it is having trouble
reading or mounting
the filesystems.  The upgrade process itself went flawlessly.  Also it was
initially installed/built with FC2, and no non-Fedora software had
ever been loaded on it.

For information this system has built-in hardware SCSI RAID (Perc).
Except for the /boot partition, the whole logical disc was set up to use LVM.
All filesystems within the LVM group were ext3.  I've tried booting
with both the SMP kernel as well as the single-processor kernel, with
the same results.  This is what appears during the initial boot text
(I copied this off the screen manually, so there may be typos)....

++++++++BEGIN+++++++
Booting Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667smp)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9=1.667smp ro root=/dev/vg00/lvol00 rhgb quiet
 [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1400, size=0x14d2a0]
initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667smp.img
 [Linux-initrd @ 0x37ee5000, 0x10ab88 bytes]

Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
audit(1101329215.035:0): initialized
Red Hat nash version 4.1.18 starting
  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
  No volume groups found
  No volume groups found
  No volume groups found
mount: error 6 mounting ext3