OpenOffice ridiculously slow to start on FC3

John Lagrue admin at moraystudio.com
Thu Dec 2 23:28:35 UTC 2004

Wong Kwok-hon wrote:

>On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 22:37:14 +0000, John Lagrue <admin at moraystudio.com> wrote:
>

>>This has been raised before but I have a bad problem with OO on FC3. I
>>start it...the banner appears and the blue progress bar quickly goes
>>across to 100% - and then nothing happens for at least 5 minutes.
>>
>>Nothing to do with swapping or CPU. The CPU load falls to zero, disc
>>activity ceases.....but no window appears for absolutely ages. The
>>system doesn't hang up, because all other activities can continue;
>>browsing, email etc.
>>
>>This is on an Celeron M320 with 256Mb, 20Gb and 490Mb swap space.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>>
>>JDL
>>

>As I noted that the system is used about 128M and excluded the cached memory...
>So it may not enough memory and CPU is also depended....
>
>Ringo

If the problem was anything to do with either disk transfer rates or
amount of memory then I would see my disk hammering away flat out. But
as I said in my first email, disc activity stops! So does CPU activity.
OO just sits there for 5 minutes without displaying any window.

Any other suggestions?

JDL