update emails & files out of sync?

Jorge Fábregas fabregasj at prtc.net
Fri Dec 3 03:25:05 UTC 2004

On Thursday 02 December 2004 10:45 pm, Martin wrote:
> If you automatically update without seeing why (ie
> reading the email), you run the small risk of breaking
> something.  Kernel updates, particularly.

Well if you notice that there are any updates (but no email so far) the
correct (wise) thing to do would be  to download the rpm and query it's
changelog (to find out what's the update for).

> On the other hand, if you wait to read what it is that
> you're updating, you risk being exposed to some
> network evil.

Right, but that would be just for security fixes which are about to (hardly)
10 to 20% of the updates released. The vast majority are bug fixes and/or
improvements.

I think there could be like a happy-medium between the two obvious solutions.
They could send out security-related announcemnts right-away advising, just
like you say, that you the packages will show up eventually in your
mirrors...and then we could have the other announcements (non-security
related) be done like they are doing now (2 or 3 days after they're placed).

Conclusion: AT LEAST for security fixes, there should be immediate
announcements.

Jorge