Start X?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Dec 3 04:38:50 UTC 2004

Lyle Kopnicky wrote:
> Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>> Lyle Kopnicky wrote:
>>
>>> OK, I can't figure out how to start X in Fedora Core 3.  I've got
>>> xfce installed.  I tried "startx", "X", "xinit".  None are found.  I
>>> tried Alt-F7 but get a blank screen.  Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Lyle
>>>
>> Is xorg-x11 installed? Maybe the X server is not present. I'm thinking
>> that you have a window manager and no server. This is probably not the
>> case, but worth a guess.
>>
>> Jim
>>
> I've installed the following packages:
>
>    xorg-x11-font-utils-6.8.1-12.i386.rpm
>    xorg-x11-libs-6.8.1-12.i386.rpm
>    xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL-6.8.1-12.i386.rpm
>    xorg-x11-Mesa-libGLU-6.8.1-12.i386.rpm
>    xorg-x11-twm-6.8.1-12.i386.rpm
>    xorg-x11-xauth-6.81-12.i386.rpm
>    xorg-x11-xfs-6.8.1-12.i386.rpm
>
> Are there any others that might help?  Only "libs" sounds like it is
> critical.
>
> Thanks,
> Lyle

I have the below packages installed that relate to xorg-x11. Usually the
updating programs (yum, up2date or apt) pull in any programs needed,
because of dependacies for other programs.

If I recall some installation programs, it is possible to only install
the windowmanager and not the X server. You do need either XFree86 or
xorg-x11. The lack of deps might be because you could choose whatever X
server version that you choose.

My listing for xorg-x11 is probably a bit more up2date. I just upgraded
the xorg-x11 recently, while reading the mail.

Jim

  rpm -qa |grep  xorg
xorg-x11-libs-6.8.1-12.FC3.21
xorg-x11-devel-6.8.1-12.FC3.21
xorg-x11-6.8.1-12.FC3.21
fonts-xorg-ISO8859-2-100dpi-6.8.1-1
fonts-xorg-ISO8859-9-75dpi-6.8.1-1
fonts-xorg-truetype-6.8.1-1
xorg-x11-doc-6.8.1-12.FC3.21
xorg-x11-font-utils-6.8.1-12.FC3.21
xorg-x11-Mesa-libGLU-6.8.1-12.FC3.21
fonts-xorg-ISO8859-14-75dpi-6.8.1-1
fonts-xorg-ISO8859-15-100dpi-6.8.1-1
fonts-xorg-ISO8859-15-75dpi-6.8.1-1
fonts-xorg-ISO8859-14-100dpi-6.8.1-1
fonts-xorg-ISO8859-2-75dpi-6.8.1-1
xorg-x11-xauth-6.8.1-12.FC3.21
xorg-x11-deprecated-libs-6.8.1-12.FC3.21
fonts-xorg-ISO8859-9-100dpi-6.8.1-1
xorg-x11-xfs-6.8.1-12.FC3.21
fonts-xorg-base-6.8.1-1
fonts-xorg-75dpi-6.8.1-1
xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL-6.8.1-12.FC3.21
xorg-x11-xdm-6.8.1-12.FC3.21

--
We need to teach Linus about "taste" in drivers. His core code taste is
impeccable, but I'm not fond of his driver taste ;)

	- Alan Cox on linux-kernel