Can Upgrade FC2 -> FC3 While Live?

Jeff Lee fedora at jlee.fastmail.fm
Fri Dec 3 07:04:22 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 10 November 2004 09:59, Fred Whipple wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering if it's possible to just upgrade directly from FC2 to
> FC3 with, for example, up2date rather than booting from special
> installation media.  Obviously I'm not saying while a server is
> completely open and live, but while the machine is still booted such
> that the only reboot is to boot into the new OS.

I did it and everything is working just fine.  Follow the instructions in the
release notes regarding udev and with the fedora-release package and yum.
You can then use yum.  If you like apt, change the version numbers in the
config file for the repos.

I've got mad-wifi installed, so I didn't want to do a clean install because it
would get rid of my drivers.  Anaconda might have messed something up.  I
really didn't want to have to lug my desktop upstairs to plug it into the
router.

YMMV

Jeff Lee
--
printk(KERN_ERR "msp3400: chip reset failed, penguin on i2c bus?\n");
        linux-2.2.16/drivers/char/msp3400.c