Finding compat-libstdc++-7.3-2.96.126.i386.rpm in Fedora

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Dec 3 08:36:57 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 13:47 +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
> _I_ have seen people on this list say they prefer apt-get; it's clear a lot
> don't. I intend to find out about yum, but until I have some experience with
> it it don't have any particular expectations.
>
> Hopes, wishes - those are different. I hoped it would look at my DVD. I wish
> it would look at my DVD.
>
> For the moment, I have nothing better than the find command I mentioned a
> while back, and the hope I can resolve dependancies.

To get yum to look at your DVD:

1. You'll need the "createrepo" package installed.

2. Let's say your DVD is mounted at /my/software/lib/fedora/3/dvd

   # cd /my/software/lib/fedora/3
   # createrepo .

   That should result in a directory /my/software/lib/fedora/3/repodata
   being created.

3. Edit /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo and comment out the line:
   mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-core-
$releasever
   add a line:
   baseurl=file:///my/software/lib/fedora/3

Yum should now use your DVD.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>