How install Java JRE on FC3?

Hardy Merrill hmerrill123 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 3 12:24:16 UTC 2004

My goal last night was to get JEdit installed and
working.

This required Java, so I tried a few different ways to
install Java.  First I downloaded Sun's JRE SE 1.4.2.
The install seemed to go fine, but in the end I would
get an error when trying to run JEdit - sorry, I don't
have the text of the error to copy/paste in.

Then I went to fedorafaq.org and found instructions
for installing Java via yum, so I did

   yum install j2re

which installed j2re from "dag" since I have a dag
repo defined.  But still when I try to run jedit I get
an error.

So I'm not sure where my problem is.  Has anyone else
been successful installing and using a JRE on FC3 -
please tell me what you did.

Thanks.

Hardy Merrill