Auto-Mounting and Unmounting CDs, DVDs, USB drives etc.

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri Dec 3 15:08:52 UTC 2004

fedora-list at webterminate.com wrote:
> Dear Fedora List,
>
> If the above procedure is in fact the standard behaviour of FC3 anyway, I
> guess my setup is to blame. Then I'd ask you to give me some indication of
> what FC3's default setup for handling CDs is. Is am-utils installed? Is
> autofs installed?
>
> Sorry for the rant. I'm simply quite frustrated.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Florian

Windows does it wrong.  :)

I cannot think of the number of screwed up floppies I have had in my
Windows days.  Even a few screwed up CDr's in XP because of a pause
while writing and I removed the CD.  Oops.  I am so glad I toasted my XP.

A simple demonstration is with a USB stick.  Even on Windows, a USB
stick needs to be "unmounted".  This is the same idea.  Explain this
to them as the default method of ensuring data and filesystem or
programs don't get corrupted data.

Of course a CD or DVD is normally read only but it isn't the best
option.  The one suggestion using auto.fs is a great idea.  I will
have to try it at home.  Removing a CD or DVD while it is being used
may crash another program or corrupt data reads.

--
Robin Laing