FC3 can't find LVM volumes, boot fails, kernel panics

Deron Meranda deron.meranda at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 15:14:56 UTC 2004

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 08:56:36 -0500, Fred Skrotzki
<fskrotzki at cephiretech.com> wrote:
> sounds like my problem.  when booting use the non SMP kernel (single proc mode) ands see if that works.  I have problems if / is in ext3 using server class dual P4 box.

I'm not sure.  This is a dual Xeon box.  But booting with the
single-cpu kernel has the same effect as the SMP one--it doesn't boot.
 Also my system seems to have problems just locating all the physical
volumes that belong to the volume group...way before it attempts to
even mount any filesystems.

The most curious thing though is that the rescue CD has no problems
whatsoever of finding and mounting everything.

Is it possible to do something like a 'yum update' while you are
booted from the rescue CD?

--
Deron Meranda