How install Java JRE on FC3?

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Fri Dec 3 17:04:46 UTC 2004

On 12/03/2004 04:24:16 AM, Hardy Merrill wrote:

> which installed j2re from "dag" since I have a dag
> repo defined.  But still when I try to run jedit I get
> an error.

It's been awhile since I have used jedit (not needed for polytonic
greek utf8 anymore) but I seem to remember jedit being particularly
picky about wanting JAVA_HOME set.

I use the blackdown.org j2re but I've only tested the browser plugin.
But this is how I set both JAVA_HOME and my path - and this is how I've
done it for years.

I create a file called j2re.sh within /etc/profile.d containing:

#!/bin/sh
export JAVA_HOME=/opt/blackdown/j2re-1.4.2-01
if [ `echo $PATH |grep -c "$JAVA_HOME"` -eq 0 ]; then
        export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH
fi

With that - all my users have the JAVA_HOME properly set, and the PATH
is correctly set.

See if that resolves your issue.