How to connect to serial port in LINUX

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Dec 3 17:25:26 UTC 2004

fredex wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 04:26:13PM +0530, Rajiv wrote:
>
>>Dear All,
>>   I have connected Eurologic SAN storage to my Fedora machine. I am using
>>minicom for communication. I windows I am able to connect sucessfully
>>through port VT-100 using HyperTerminal. In my Fedora machine I can only
>>connect to terminal VT-102- in minicom terminal options I find only VT-102
>>not VT-100. How to get rid of this problem.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Rajiv
>

> Shouldn't be a problem. A VT102 would be expected to work for any
> system that requires a VT100.

Absolutely right.  Speaking as an old DEC head, a VT102 is 100%
compatible with a VT100.  It's even mostly compatible with a VT220.
With the exception of the old "PF" keys and kicking the VT100 keyboard
into "application mode" (e.g. for KED or KEX), a VT100 is compatible
with an ANSI terminal (same cursor-control sequences, highlighting,
etc.).  The old VT440 is compatible with ANSI color sequences, too.
-        "And on the seventh day, He exited from append mode."       -