Password, Login, and Pam

Browder, Tom Tom.Browder at fwb.srs.com
Fri Dec 3 18:25:30 UTC 2004

Can someone please tell me how, on FC 2 , to do the following:

1.  Ensure a password meets minimum length and other quality
restrictions.

2.  Lockout an account for time X after three failed attempts.

3.  Force a user to change a password after time Y.

4.  Report all the above.

The /etc/login.defs with password restrictions apparently doesn't work
with PAM.

PAM documentation is very confusing to me--I see apparent dependencies,
duplications, and overlaps between "services" and modules, and which
takes precedence is not clear..

For example, following the examples in the "Linux-PAM System
Administrators' Guide" (latest I could find: version 0.76, Jun 2002) for
the /etc/pam.d/passwd doesn't work for me.  I set the following:

  password required pam_cracklib.so \
      dcredit=-1 ucredit=-1 ocredit=o lcredit=-1 minlen=8

Nothing changes:

  As a user I try to change my password and it accepts 6 characters.

Thanks for any help or pointers.

Tom Browder