FC3 can't find LVM volumes, boot fails, kernel panics

Deron Meranda deron.meranda at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 22:29:00 UTC 2004

Okay, with some investigative work and some pointers from Fred, this
now appears to be an issue with the megaraid kernel module being
missing.  In particular the megaraid_mbox and megaraid_mm modules are
not in the boot kernel image.  Both of those modules are loaded by the
rescue CD, which explains why I can see all the filesystems when
booting from rescue, but not the on-disk image.

However, I've tried to do a mkinitrd to force them and it complains.

  # mkinitrd -v -f --with=megaraid_mbox /boot/initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
2.6.9-1.667
  No module megaraid found for kernel 2.6.9-1.667, aborting.

What's the trick now to get the needed *.ko files into the initrd image?

--
Deron Meranda