X server Keeps crashing.

Derek Tattersall tatters at newsguy.com
Sat Dec 4 03:37:26 UTC 2004

I am trying to install FC3 on a Sony PCG-SRX77 laptop, and I cannot get
the X window system to work. I had Redhat 8.2 on it, and it worked fine.

The graphics chip claims to be an Intel 815.

I managed to get through the first part of the install process by using
the text based install, but when that finishes, and the laptop reboots
to complete the install process, I just get junk on the screen and
sometimes  everything hangs, sometimes the X server seems to be going
through a continuous process of starting and crashing and writing junk
on the screen.

Can anyone suggest a way to get this to work?

I think this would sort of work if I could force the FC3 install process
to use the VESA X-server. Is there a way to tell the installer and the X
configure process to do that?

Sorry for the somewhat imprecise problem description, but this isn't
even getting far enough for me to get at any logs or error message.

Thanks

Derek