Please: need help with kdvi under FC3

Gustavo Seabra seabra at ksu.edu
Sat Dec 4 06:51:10 UTC 2004

Gustavo Seabra wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've asked this before in many places but got no answers, and I'm just
> plain lost.
>
> I'm trying to use kdvi (KDE) to view .dvi files. However, all I get
> are blank pages and some lines on the pages. The lines are the boxes
> or table lines that really are in the file, but I get no text at all.
> I tried to check the configurations, but I saw nothing that could
> help. Also, I can open the same file perfectly in xdvi, so the problem
> must be with my kdvi installation.
>
> I'd be happy to follow any suggestions to track this down.
>
> Help -> about kdvi gives:
> kdvi 1.2 (Using KDE 3.3.1-4.2.3-kde)
>
> rpm -q kdvi returns:
> # rpm -q kdvi
> package kdvi is not installed

More weidness:
 Trying to open the file inside konqueror by opening Konqueror at my
home directory, browsing to the file and then double clicking it -->
Works fine.
$ konqueror myfile.dvi --> NO.
directly using the embedded viewer in kile --> works fine.

So, it only fails if I try to call kdvi from command line as
$ kdvi myfile.dvi

Any ideas about what might be wrong?

Gustavo Seabra - Graduate Student
Chemistry Department