Please: need help with kdvi under FC3

Marvin Dickens mpdickens at tlanta.com
Sat Dec 4 07:03:55 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-12-04 at 00:51 -0600, Gustavo Seabra wrote:

> More weidness:
>  Trying to open the file inside konqueror by opening Konqueror at my
> home directory, browsing to the file and then double clicking it -->
> Works fine.
> $ konqueror myfile.dvi --> NO.
> directly using the embedded viewer in kile --> works fine.
>
> So, it only fails if I try to call kdvi from command line as
> $ kdvi myfile.dvi
>
> Any ideas about what might be wrong?

A couple of years ago I had to produce documents in dvi format for a
customer I did some work for. At that
time kdvi did *exactly* the same thing you are describing. Further, this
behavior was not distro centric: I observed the same behavior in Suse,
Mandrake and Debian. I suspect this is more of a
KDE issue than an FC issue.

As I recall, users on the TeX mailing list helped
me with this issue. I don't remember the fix, but
there is one. Also, the KDE mailing list will be
useless for this problem - 99% of the users don't
know anything about tex or dvi.

Best regards

Marvin Dickens