BASH

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sat Dec 4 16:15:45 UTC 2004

Am Sa, den 04.12.2004 schrieb Bill Gradwohl um 16:50:

> Two questions:
>
> 1) When a BASH script is executed, the file that represents the script
> must be read by the interpreter. Assuming the script is a long running
> script, is it safe to modify the script while its executing? The real
> question boils down to is the entire script read into memory or not
> before execution starts, or is it read as needed from disk. I ask
> because I'd like to test a script, and while its running and I see
> errors, I'd like to modify the script without disturbing the executing
> version.

Your intention sounds a bit "obscure".

> 2) There seems to be no way to "goto" in BASH. If one has a lengthy
> script that fails half way down, the only thing to do appears to be to
> wrap the top half in an if that won't execute so as to skip that top
> half and get to where the script should again restart. Is there a better
> way to do this?

Operate with "debug" code like echo lines of states of used variables
and with exit instructions / codes. This will catch part 1) of your
question too. Make use of functions.

advanced bash scripting guide:
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/

> Bill Gradwohl

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 17:10:53 up 6:29, 16 users, 0.88, 0.83, 0.82