BASH

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Sat Dec 4 16:38:15 UTC 2004

On Sat, Dec 04, 2004 at 10:36:34AM -0600, Bill Gradwohl wrote:
> Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>
> >Your intention sounds a bit "obscure".
> >

> Maybe I should elaborate.
>
> I'm currently working on a small script that typically runs for about 8
> minutes. Part of what it does is set up a RAID array on a 3WARE
> controller and then partition that space using fdisk and then format
> that partition for an ext3 file system. All this takes time on a 2TB array.
>
> While the script is executing, if I see something I want to fix or add
> to the script, can I emacs the script file and modify it while it is
> still being executed?

No.   Before thescript execute the entire file is read "into" the bash
execution environemnt (usually in a spawned sub-shell) and that "image"
of the script will not be affected by any changes you make to the file.

--
Linux/Open Source:  Your infrastructure belongs to you, free, forever.
Idealism:  "Realism applied over a longer time period"