Auto-Mounting and Unmounting CDs, DVDs, USB drives etc.

William Lovaton walovaton at yahoo.com.mx
Sat Dec 4 14:33:24 UTC 2004

Hi Guy,

El vie, 03-12-2004 a las 09:14 -0700, Guy Fraser escribió:
> I just got a Firewire/USB2 external case and hooked it up last night.
> Seconds after I plugged it in,
> an Icon popped up on the desktop, right clicking on the icon gives an
> option to unmount. I moved
> a bunch of files off the external drive, unmounted it then repartitioned
> and formatted it, and when
> I unplugged it then plugged it back in, the icon came back with the new
> label I assigned to the
> file system.
>
> I will try using USB this weekend, but from what I can tell there have
> been major improvements
> with support for external drives and removable media in FC3.

I agree with you,there have been major improvements with UDEV, HAL and
hotplug.  Everything usually works as expected, however I have seen some
problems while unmounting USB drives.  It seems that gam_server (located
in /usr/libexec) sometimes blocks some file in the USB drive and I can't
unmount it saying that the device is busy.  The only way to solve the
problem is killing the process.

Have you experienced this problem?

-William