X server Keeps crashing. (rhgb 815 video)

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Dec 4 18:43:14 UTC 2004

Derek Tattersall wrote:

> I have it working now, sort of.
>
> I had to boot up with the rescue disk and edit the inittab to get it to
> boot in CLI mode (level 3). Once I did that, I ran yum update and got
> all the upgrades. Then my wireless card stopped working, but one thing
> at a time. After rebooting, I managed to get the X server to start. I
> had to add the noaccel option and set the resolution and color depth by
> hand because system-config-display guessed incorrect values. For some
> reason I can only get it to work in 16 bit mode, although it works in 24
> bit mode with WinXP.

I've been running my machine at 24 bit with no problems for awhile. I
had problems earlier with 16 bit that did not effect the 24 bit mode the
same way. One of the problems was that the refresh problem shoed up in
16 bit and not in 24 bit resolution.
Anyway, I guess I got lucky with not having to add noaccel to the newer
X versions. There are different revisions for this 815 chip and they
seem to be different enough to give different results with different
implementations being tested.

I seem to remember someone else reported troubles with 24 bit mode
causing troubles while it actually helped out to reduce my X server
problems.

Jim