(no subject)

donald szatkowski delta.ski at verizon.net
Sat Dec 4 20:47:35 UTC 2004

Matthew Wood wrote:

> I am very new to linux, in fact i have only used it for about 2 hours
> before i wrote this email. i cannot write anything to the following
> directory /user/local/lib. I need to be able to, so that i an install
> MPlayer. How can i resolve this.

> Wood</EM></FONT></DIV></html>

Matthew, when you get time please read about file permissions! This
should help a lot. But, to the immediate problem. You need to have
"root" permission to write to those files. To do this issue the shell
command "su" followed by the root password. Now you can install your
program. Don't forget to "exit" the superuser position prior to trying
anything else! You can cause irreperable system damage if you are not
careful and knowledgable of what you do!

A tip from your old uncle Don