Before I install Fedora Core 3...

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Sat Dec 4 22:41:09 UTC 2004

Robert Johnson wrote:

>... Would *you* install it if you had to do it over again?  Or would you
>stay with Fedora Core 2?  Or another distro entirely?
>
>I ask this because I cant believe all the troubles so many people are
>having.  Is there something wrong with Core 3?
>
>Thanks,

Fedora Core is one of the better distros you can use. It should install
just fine on most recent hardware -- I've never really had a serious
installation problem with the public releases. The beta releases are
understandably more difficult because they are works in progress. The
toughest OS'es to install are FreeBSD or OpenBSD. On a scale of very
difficult to install to easy, here are my rankings:

OpenBSD
FreeBSD
SuSE Linux
Fedora Core

I think Fedora Core is one of the best distros you can use regardless of
your experience with Linux. It is very hard to beat the ease of
installation and the GUI components have improved with every release.
I've been fooling with Red Hat products since Red Hat Linux 6.1. I still
remember the absolute hell of upgrading to Red Hat 6.2. Anaconda was a
bit rough around the edges in those days. Bust mostly, I was new to
Linux, new to the hardware I was trying to install on, and as a result I
made a ton of mistakes. I did one thing right: I kept on trying until I
succeeded. (At this point I pat myself on my back warmly before clicking
the "send" button.)

Bob