(no subject)

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Sat Dec 4 22:53:56 UTC 2004

On Sat, Dec 04, 2004 at 03:47:35PM -0500, donald szatkowski wrote:
> Matthew Wood wrote:
>
> >I am very new to linux, in fact i have only used it for about 2 hours
> >before i wrote this email. i cannot write anything to the following
> >directory /user/local/lib. I need to be able to, so that i an install
> >MPlayer. How can i resolve this.

> >Wood</EM></FONT></DIV></html>
> >

> Matthew, when you get time please read about file permissions! This
> should help a lot. But, to the immediate problem. You need to have
> "root" permission to write to those files. To do this issue the shell
> command "su" followed by the root password. Now you can install your
> program. Don't forget to "exit" the superuser position prior to trying
> anything else! You can cause irreperable system damage if you are not
> careful and knowledgable of what you do!
>
> A tip from your old uncle Don

su -
would be better, because then you get root in roots environment.
But after two hours of use that might not mean much to you. But I
would use su - until you become more knowledgeable.

Many people resent being treated like the person they really are.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
One Trinity Place.