(no subject)

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Sun Dec 5 00:23:11 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-12-04 at 16:03 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Dec 2004, Matthew Wood wrote:
>
> > I am very new to linux, in fact i have only used it for about 2
> > hours before i wrote this email. i cannot write anything to the
> > following directory /user/local/lib. I need to be able to, so that i
> > an install MPlayer. How can i resolve this.

> > Wood</EM></FONT></DIV></html>
>
> a couple of observations:
>
> 1) it's "/usr/local/lib".  you won't be taken particularly seriously
> if you can't spell the names of standard system directories.
>
> 2) you really should put in considerably more time reading an intro
> book on linux before you start asking questions here.  if you don't
> even understand the concept of the root account and superuser
> privileges, frankly, i don't think you're ready for linux yet.
>
> rday

Oh, man, now *that's* the way to welcome a newcomer.  Insult him twice
for his first posting.

Sheesh - the people who take delight in slamming newbies should
seriously check their attitude at the door.  This is a community, not
some sort of club.  It's *supposed* to be open to all comers.

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything, OK?

Thomas