Before I install Fedora Core 3...

Scott angrykeyboarder at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 00:24:25 UTC 2004

Robert L Cochran wrote:

> Robert Johnson wrote:
>
>> ... Would *you* install it if you had to do it over again? Or would you
>> stay with Fedora Core 2? Or another distro entirely?
>>
>> I ask this because I cant believe all the troubles so many people are
>> having. Is there something wrong with Core 3?
>> Thanks,
>>

> Fedora Core is one of the better distros you can use. It should
> install just fine on most recent hardware -- I've never really had a
> serious installation problem with the public releases. The beta
> releases are understandably more difficult because they are works in
> progress. The toughest OS'es to install are FreeBSD or OpenBSD. On a
> scale of very difficult to install to easy, here are my rankings:
>
> OpenBSD
> FreeBSD
> SuSE Linux
> Fedora Core
>
> I think Fedora Core is one of the best distros you can use regardless
> of your experience with Linux. It is very hard to beat the ease of
> installation and the GUI components have improved with every release.
> I've been fooling with Red Hat products since Red Hat Linux 6.1. I
> still remember the absolute hell of upgrading to Red Hat 6.2. Anaconda
> was a bit rough around the edges in those days. Bust mostly, I was new
> to Linux, new to the hardware I was trying to install on, and as a
> result I made a ton of mistakes. I did one thing right: I kept on
> trying until I succeeded. (At this point I pat myself on my back
> warmly before clicking the "send" button.)

A few months ago I decided to dive back into the Linux world (after a
4-year absence). This time I went full bore and dumped Windoss entirely.

I started off with Fedora Core 3, test 2 (based on a review I'd read of
it saying that it was already better than FC2). A week or so after the
install I managed to screw things up sufficiently that the only thing I
knew to do was reinstall.

Rather than do that right away, I installed SuSE 9.1 Pro instead. I'd
gotten a free DVD from Novell a few months prior. The installation
program was much "slicker" than Fedora as is the SuSE GUI in general.
However a pretty installatrion doesn't make up for a bad one. It was
murder getting it installed. It kept failing (pausing). I'd have to hit
enter again to get it moving. It took forever and a day to install. The
convenience of a DVD was outweighed by the slowness of it.

In any event, when I managed to screw it up later I came back to Fedora
Core. By that time 3 had been released. It was out of testing. Nothing
had really changed that I can tell and overall I've been impressed. It's
not perfect and I do have some issues with it, but overall it's about
the best out there now (especially for someone like me with moderate
experience e). Not to mention it's the only distro I know of right now
that boasts the latest GNOME *&* KDE. Most distros can mange the newest
of one, but not both (part of it was timing I'm sure).

But overall it's a very impressive distro and as long as you don't mess
with it (but hey..that's no fun) it's great and can be just as easy to
use as Windows (but again......).

Now if I could just get GNOME themes to install.....