Helping new users - basic starts and attitudes

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Dec 5 05:35:15 UTC 2004

Timothy Payne wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-12-04 at 16:03 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 4 Dec 2004, Matthew Wood wrote:
>>

>>>I am very new to linux, in fact i have only used it for about 2
>>>hours before i wrote this email. i cannot write anything to the
>>>following directory /user/local/lib. I need to be able to, so that i
>>>an install MPlayer. How can i resolve this.

You have to be the root user to install in this directory. This is
similar to administrator in Windows. After you get the program installed
in the desired directory, it should run fine as user joe normal.

Good luck and it might help you on your venture to read some getting
started with linux material. It is not as tough to learn modern Linux as
it was with earlier versions, but basic Linux administration is ery helpful.

Jim

> I purchased a copy of RH 5.1 in 1998 and signed up for the mailing list.
> After reading posts like the one from Mr. Day, and getting a few myself,
> I vowed never to subscribe to another list.

I bought RHL 5.2 and previously bought RHL 4.2 to learn UNIX commands
and to hopefully get a job working with Unix systems. Previously, I
installed and configured Minux in order to learn Unix. I didn't think of
joining any Linux related lists and just fumbled through the man pages
and info pages for answers to configuration issues. RHL 5.2 with
netscape, wordperfect trial and other multimedia content got me hoked on
Linux.

Anyway, when RHL was touring for the IBM sponsored tour for RHL8,
someone mentioned a local LUG at the meeting/demonstration. I joined the
local LUG and then when reading messages related to beta testing, I
joined up for the Phoebe test lists. I have found that these lists
expose a person to a wealth of information on Linux in general and
gently steer users in the right direction. As a list with many different
personalities and with so many different methods for resolving issues,
there are bound to be personality conflicts and opinions that one should
know more than what another expects a person longer exposed to Liux to
think.

Basically, I think the list is a great help to others and has taught me
a quite a lot about the Lnux computer environment. Hopefully, new users
and ling time users can take these factors for people in their general
thoughts and avoid conflicts with each other that can degrade one for
asking a question for guidance.
Of course, I have been hardened from crticism by talking Linux where
most (90+ percent of users use windows). This makes the tone of this
list quite a bit milder in my observations.

--
Hate is like acid.  It can damage the vessel in which it is stored as well
as destroy the object on which it is poured.