cdrecord issue

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Sun Dec 5 14:43:32 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 01:22 +0100, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Sa, den 04.12.2004 schrieb Christian Del Pino um 23:25:
> > What I typed in that made it work was cdrecord dev=cdrom, as in my
> > cdrecord.conf file. Now my question, is my conf file wrong, or do I need
> > to reconfigure that cd burning apps with the correct device name?
>
> "cdrecord dev=cdrom" is wrong IMHO. The proper syntax is
>
> cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc ...
>
> or if you did set your burning device in the cdrecord.conf, you then
> don't need to pass cdrecord any information about the device to use.

Nothing wrong with dev=cdrom (if cdrom is a named device is
cdrecord.conf), but it's usually redundant when there's only one cd
writing device specified in cdrecord.conf. However, if there are
multiple cd writing devices specified, dev=cdrom would be necessary in
order to specify device "cdrom" rather than say "dvdwriter".

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>