Enterprise mail server

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sun Dec 5 16:56:59 UTC 2004

Am So, den 05.12.2004 schrieb Chris Mason um 15:13:

> I'm looking for feedback on experiences of implementing an enterprise mail
> server with IMAP and webmail, preferably groupware, on our Dual Xeon Fedora
> server. We currently have sendmail, uw-imap, squirrelmail, in standard
> Redhat configuration, and we are having huge load problems as the present
> setup is not capable of supporting the needs of our users. Large mail
> folders bring the server to it's knees. We only have 25 users but they
> travel and use the mail system as a filing system, routinely saving 10MB
> emails and never cleaning up old mail.

uw-imapd is known to be dog slow when it comes to large mboxes. There
are too many reports about it causing much CPU occupation when
processing (high loads then). I encourage you to migrate to a
Cyrus-IMAPd (coming with FC2 and FC3) - runs impressively fast even on
my very old and weak AMD K6-3 450 MHz, handling 1,5 GB mail -, keeping
Sendmail. I can not say how well SquirrelMail as a webmailer is
performing. What I highly recommend is to use an IMAP proxy between the
Cyrus-IMAPd and SquirrelMail. That can improve webmail speed a lot. As
SquirrelMail is PHP written I recommend using the Turck MMCache which
improves the speed of PHP applications a lot. Maybe try as an alternate
to SquirrelMail the Horde framework (www.horde.org). It runs very well
for me and there are very large mail environments were it proofed it's
power.

> We also need more groupware type features such as file sharing, messaging
> and calendaring. I am looking at Binari, Groupwise, Surgemail, and
> opengroupware which would involve more work to implement for me.

OpenGroupware is IMHO the only free application in your list. If costs
play a role and you are able to implement and customize it to your need,
then it is certainly the tool of choice.

> Chris Mason

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 17:56:54 up 1 day, 7:15, load average: 0.17, 0.20, 0.19