djbdns

Jay Moore jaymo at mail.bokler.com
Sun Dec 5 17:45:38 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 11:20, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 15:49:40 +0100, Al Bayrouni <bayrouni at brutele.be> wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I would like to install a dnscache (djbdns) name server for my own
> > machine (FC3).
> > Is there any FC3 repository that contains this package.
>

> if thats the same license as qmai then it is non free and cannot be
> redistributed as binaries which would prevent anyone from distributing
> it as rpm or in a yum repository

IIRC, Dan Bernstein's license does not allow re-distribution of changes
to the source code. This has resulted in lots of discussion and
teeth-gnashing in the past - I assume Prof. Bernstein is a fairly
independent thinker as I'm sure he's heard all of this, and decided not
to change.

OTOH, I understand that Bernstein's MTA (qmail) is pretty popular. I'd
guess that qmail's license is the same as djbdns... is there an rpm for
qmail?

Jay