an update to "A long, strange FC3 problem"

Summer Brooks brooksj at wildhorse.com
Sun Dec 5 18:06:16 UTC 2004

After Bob's suggestion of "nofb" did nothing to change display
locking behavior I described earlier, I tried to install FC2
this morning... and had worse results.

The desktop locked up on me while I was in Disk Druid, trying
to preserve my partitions.   Well, at least I didn't have to
experiment with various settings for 2-3 days to find out that
I'm still SOL   :)

The most frustrating part of this is that I haven't had one iota
of problems with FC3 installed with a 17" Dell LCD that I use at
work... and the success with that upgrade was what led me to also
try the upgrade at home.

Preliminary Google searches have not helped me (yet), but I'd like
to find out for sure if Fedora's problem with this is definitely
the monitor, or the combination of certain monitors with certain
graphics cards (I'm not that great with PC hardware... my background's
with Sun and HP servers).

Basically, I have no problems getting a new graphics card to resolve
this issue, but getting a new monitor shouldn't be an option one
should have to consider just to be able to use a newer version of
an operating system, especially one that's ballpark a year old,
and worked just fine with RH8 and RH9.

I'm also open to suggestions for brands/models of graphics cards.
I'd also really hate to go back to FreeBSD as a workstation, because
I've gotten very comfortable with Linux over the past 3 years, both
at work and at home.   My home servers are still FreeBSD, and likely
always will be, but I'd hate to switch my workstation back because
of something that really shouldn't be an issue... I mean, it used to
work, and now doesn't; why did that change?  It's not like I'm talking
about hardware that 10 years old... that's the part that gets me annoyed.

Now, I just have to figure out where I put those RH9 cd's...