Entourage + Outlook >> Linux

Stewart Nelson sn at scgroup.com
Sun Dec 5 18:40:43 UTC 2004

> I have mail sitting on my PowerBook in Apple Mail.  I pulled it
> into Entourage in hopes to have an "export" function (no dice).
> I also have mail on my XP PC in Outlook.  How the heck can I get
> the contents from BOTH and pull it into a proper mail client
> in Linux (I am assuming Evolution).

If you were using IMAP mail (message folders on server), you
wouldn't have to do anything, because *all* your mail folders
would be visible from your PowerBook, XP, and Linux, using any
of the clients you mentioned.

Set up an IMAP account in Apple Mail (or Entourage), create
folders with names matching your local folders, and copy the
messages.  Do the same in Outlook.  The messages will appear
in your Evolution IMAP account.  If you want to store them
locally, create local folders in Evolution and copy the messages.

This method is unfortunately not practical if the amount of
mail to be moved is large compared with the quota on your
email server (you could set up an IMAP server on your Linux
box), or if you have numerous folders.

--Stewart